This is a tasty vegetarian dish that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is made with simple ingredients that you most likely have in your kitchen. The eggs are poached in a delicious sauce made of tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic and the warming spices of North Africa. I served this dish with home-made pita bread, Hummus and Eggplant parmesan.
Shakshuka is made thoughout Middle Eastern countries today and there are numerous recipes around; however, it originated in Northern Africa. This recipe uses the lovely spices of Northern Africa, the special trio of cumin, coriander and paprika. Enjoy!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green pepper
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- hot pepper flakes to taste
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- On medium high heat, sauté the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the green peppers and continue sautéing while stirring frequently for another 5 minutes. Add the spices (cumin, coriander, paprika), stir for 1 minte and add the garlic.
- Quicly add the diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce, stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes covered.
- Uncover and let the dish cook for another 5 minutes or so until the sauce thickens.
- Using a wooden spoon, clear some space in the sauce or make a ‘well’ and drop 1 egg in. Do this three more times with the other eggs. Cover and let the eggs poach in this lovely, well seasoned sauce until the whites are set and are not runny.
- Uncover. Add salt, pepper, parsley, mint leaves and hot pepper flakes.
- Serve it warm with pita bread (recipe).
- I also served it with Hummus (recipe) and Eggplant parmesan (recipe).
- Photos: twincitiesherbs.com