This is a simple salad with an interesting taste to serve with meat or vegetarian dishes.
- 2 medium or 1 large slicing cucumber
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup of vinegar + 3/4 cup of water
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- a handful of dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of sweet Hungarian paprika powder
- pinch of sugar
- Peel cucumbers. Traditionally cucumbers are peeled completely but I sometimes leave a little peel on.
- Slice cucumbers very thin, you can use a slicer.
- Place cucumbers in a medium sized bowl.
- Put salt on and mix well. Let the salt sit for 15 minutes on the cucumbers.
- Squeeze out all the liquid with your hands. Discard this liquid. Salting helps remove water so the salad won’t taste watery.
- Put the cucumber slices in a medium sized bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients. Adjust water, vinegar, salt, garlic to taste.
- Put the salad in the refrigerator and leave it in there for the night.
- Serve it cold or at room temperature with meat or vegetarian dishes.
Recipe, photo by twincitiesherbs.com.
One thought on “Hungarian cucumber salad (uborkasaláta)”