This delicious dish is very easy to make. I probably should have called it the bachelor/bachelorette sauerkraut dish … but it is not just for the bachelors/bachelorettes, it is the perfect dish whenever you want to make something quick but tasty and healthy. Of course, you can never go wrong with sauerkraut, it is so healthy.
It is a super easy recipe but I would like to note a few things. The onion has to be finally chopped and the dish needs to be cooked well otherwise it will have a raw taste.
There are two types of sauerkraut. One is preserved with vinegar and the other is processed with salt. I prefer the salted version as it is less acidic and is better for health. This version acts as a probiotic and supports gut health and digestive functions. Of course, the vinegar version would be fine to use, too.
Serves 6-8 people
- 1 onion, finally chopped
- oil (sunflower, lard)
- 4 large slices of bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 cup of cold meat stock
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 2 lbs of sauerkraut, well rinsed
- red chili pepper (optional)
- 1 lb of kielbasa or sausage
- sour cream to serve
- rice or potatoes to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onions making sure they are finally chopped. Also chop the bacon. Sauté onions and bacon in some oil for about 10 minutes on medium high heat. Sauté the apple pieces for a few minutes.
- Add the paprika, stir for 1 minute to activate and add the cold stock, stir.
- Rinse sauerkraut well with water.
- Add the sauerkraut, stir. Continue adding, the mustard, red chili pepper (optional) and caraway seeds. You can add the meat too. If the meat is already cooked, you do not have to add it at this point. Although I personally like it if any meat is cooked in the dish regardless whether it is precooked or not. If you don’t include it at this step, just add it at the end.
- Cook for 45-60 minutes until the sauerkraut is well cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream and your choice of bread, potatoes or rice.
One thought on “Sauerkraut dish with kielbasa”
Hungarian food is so good!! Love this 💕