These sweet potato muffins are lovely autumn muffins! They are packed with nutritious ingredients of the season and get their special flavor from the spices: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace and cloves. enjoy!
- 2 cups/240 gr of whole wheat flour (white flour is fine too)
- 2 tsp pumkin pie spice ( China cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace and cloves)
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp) of butter (115g) at room temperature
- 1 cup of sweet potato, mashed (1 medium sized sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- 3/4 cup of nuts, coarsley chopped (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 375F.
Take butter out of fridge.
Bake the sweet potatoes.
Sift flour, pumkin spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a mixing bowl. Add the nuts, raisins or cranberries. Set aside.
In a seperate bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the lightly beaten eggs, vanilla, butter milk and the sweet potatoes. Mix.
Quickly mix everything together. Do not overbeat. You can sprinkle sugar and nuts on the top if you wish.
Lightly oil a muffin tin. Evenly distribute the dough between the 12 muffin cups.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. The muffins are ready when a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool before serving.
Recipe, photos and text by twincitiesherbs.com.