As many of you know, I post recipes with the seasons so I normally would post salad type dishes during the warmer months. However, this salad would fit my ‘Eating with the season’ motto so I thought it would be a great time to share it now. Kale actually thrives in cold weather garden. Here the kale is topped with the warm zesty cranberry vinaigrette dressing and is a lovely addition during the holidays. Enjoy!
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 larger shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
juice and zest of half a lemon
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 – 1 bunch kale, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese (optional)
- Slice the shallots
- In a medium sized pan saute them in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic for minute, stir. Add the wine vinegar, cranberries, honey and the lemon juice and zest, mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Wash and take large veins off of the kale so you are left with the delicate leaves only. Discard the veins.
- In a large bowl, drizzle a little olive oil and salt on the kale leaves. Mix with two large spoons. Massage the leaves until tender. This just means to take a leaf in your hand and rub it in-between your thumb and index finger to soften the leaves and to get the oil onto the leaves.
- Add the shallot/cranberry mixture from earlier and the sliced almond slievers. Toss to combine.
- Serve with crumbled cheese if you wish.