Ramp (wild garlic) is a very special plant, one of the first foods avalaible in the spring. Soups are always a great way to enjoy them. This recipe is very simple; in a nut shell, it is a basic potato soup made with shallots and the ramps added at the end. Just let the ramps shine and enjoy its special flavor in this simple soup!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 shallot
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lb russet potatoes, cleaned and cut into cubes
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 20 ramps, feel free to use more if you have more
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee the shallots in butter until translucent.
- Add paprika quickly, stir for 1 minute and add a little cold water.
- Add the chopped potatoes, the stock and let it cook for about 20 minutes.
- At the end add the whole ramps and cook for a few mintes on a slow boil.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper and puree the soup with an immersion blender to get a creamy consistancy.
- Serve with yoghurt and croutons if you wish!
Photo and text by twincitiesherbs.com.
photo by twincitiesherbs.com