Are you looking for something more interesting than a simple lemonade? Check out this fabulous drink with its unexpected twist … the sweet berries and the refreshing lemons are mixed with fragrant basil … ahhh just the perfect drink for the summer…
Last summer, when we were on vacation, I ventured into getting a drink called blueberry lemonade with basil. I had never heard of this drink before but it sounded interesting so I ended up ordering it … and it was a pleasant surprise, something I had never had before. So I tried to recreate it at home and here is what I came up with.
- juice and the peel/rind of 1 fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries, frozen is fine (blackberries or raspberries would work too)
- handful of torn fresh basil leaves
- 1-3 tablespoons granulated sugar or honey (depending on your taste)
- 3 cups of water, I used carbonated water
- Ice for serving (0ptional)
- In a pitcher, combine all the ingredients together ex the ice and lemon slices for serving.
- Let it stand overnight or at least for a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Strain off the large pieces.
- If you wish, serve with fresh basil leaves, blueberries, lemon slices and ice.
Photo, text and recipe by twincitiesherbs.com