This delicious summer dessert quickly became a favorite in my family. The tasty base is topped with the delicate meringue and the red currants. Red currants are available right now. They are bursting with sweetness and acidity and are perfect in sweets in the summer. Of course, you can add as much sugar as you like or as little as you like … that is the beauty of making your own cake. Please feel free to experiement.
- 2 cups (30dkg) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks (25 dkg) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4- 1 cup of sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
- 5 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup of almond flour, optional
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups of red currants without stems
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4-1 cup of sugar ( I used 1/4 cup)
- handfull of breadcrubs
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add baking soda and vanilla to the flour. Cut the butter into the flour.
- Add the yolks one by one. Mix well.
- Add the almonf flour, mix.
- Butter a deep baking dish. I used a 9″ round deep dish (2 1/2″ deep). Sprinkle some flour.
- Spread the dough evenly on the bottom of the form.
- Let it rest for 1 hour if you can.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 340 F.
- Beat the egg whites untill hard. Mix in the sugar, and the salt. Gently mix in the currants and the breadcrubs.
- Pour on top of the baked cake base.
- Bake for 15 more minutes ar 340F and then turn heat down to 300F. Bake for 15 more minutes.
- Let the cake sit for a few hours before serving.
- Decorate the top with fresh currants, optional.
- Serve at room temperature maybe with a little vanilla ice cream.
Text, recipe and photo by twincitiesherbs.com.