This is a basic recipe that I have been using and enjoying for years. It is moist, a bit crunchy with a little hint of sweetness. Of course, coarsely ground corn flour is a must! The butter gives it a nice flavor and a bit of crunchyness, the buttermilk makes it soft and the eggs pull it all together … oh and I add a little sugar just enough to make it sweet. Feel free to serve it with a hearty soup or just have it as it is with some jam.
Please check out my recipe for my white chilli soup (recipe).
- 1 cup corn meal, coarse ground
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 stick (110g) of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Do not overbeat.
- Pour into a lightly greased pan. I like to let the mixture sit for a couple of hours so it is easier to digest.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting.