If you are like me and just can’t get enough of rhubarb right now, try these delicious muffins. The tangy rhubarb works nicely with the whole wheat dough that will make them tasty and filling. They were gone fast in our house …
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour (you can replace 1 cup with 1 cup of white flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 cups of rhubarb stalks, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp fresh or 1 tsp dried ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup of walnuts nuts
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and the sugar. Cream them with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. You could do this with an electric mixer.
- Beat in 1 egg until combined, then whisk in 1 cup buttermilk.
- With a spatula, fold in the dry ingredients until just barely combined, then add 2 cups fresh rhubarb and fold until evenly distributed.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 375F for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick poked into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then run a knife around each muffin to release from the tin and turn out onto the rack.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature.