Salsa is one of my favorite sauces. It is easy to make as it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. You can spice up many dishes with it and it can be made of course as spicy as you like it.
The most important ingredient is the tomato. You will need ripe, soft and tasty tomatoes. My favorite heirloom tomatoes are not ready yet but I find the hydroponic tomatoes a nice alternative. If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes, of course the results will not be the same. Also, I personally just use the tomatoes as they are and don’t remove the skin or the seeds.
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, cored
- 1/2 of a small red onion, chopped or 3 scalions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice of 1 lime or lemon or 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- handful of cilantro,chopped
- 1/2-1 fresh chili pepper or jalapeño pepper, chopped or to taste
- Chop up the tomatoes. I prefer using a very sharp knife. You can use a food processor but your salsa will be more liquidy and IMO not as strong tasting.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Serve in a small dish.
Recipe, text and photo by twincities.herbs.