This is a recipe that I borrowed from my daughter. She has been making it for herself so she doesn’t have to eat my pancakes. Then I realized it is actually good. The pancakes are very simple but nutritious and delicious. Basic ingredients are oatmeal, eggs, bananas … oatmeal, eggs, bananas … oatmeal, eggs, bananas … that is it and just add a few things to make it taste better. Of course, this is a very kid friendly recipe.
Dairy free and gluten free with the substitution of gluten-free oats.
Serving: generous portion for 1 adult
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal, coarsely ground (use gluten-free for gluten free version)
- 1 crushed ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, I used apple spice (optional)
- pinch of salt
- lemon zest (optional)
- oil for baking
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- syrup of your choice
- fruits (optional)
- Lightly beat eggs in a medium sized bowl.
- Mash the banana and add to the bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of oatmeal to a blender and blend until you get a coarse flour consistency. Add to the bowl.
- Add baking soda, cinnamon, lemon zest, salt. Mix.
- Just like any other grains, I like to let the mixture soak for a few hours but it can be baked right away.
- Bake in a preheated oiled pan on medium low heat on both sides for 3-4 minutes. Flip over and bake for a few minutes. Both sides should be nice and golden brown in color.
- You can add fruits on top of the pancakes while baking in the pan.
- Serve with fruits, nuts and syrup.
Photo, text by twincitiesherbs.com